My First Blog

Hello everybody,

I am little princess Jing Ting ... finally have my own blog because Daddy was bored and home-sick when he was in the States ... so decided to create a blog for me ! HOORAY !!!

Come and read my blog as Daddy and Mummy update it as regularly as they can

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

冬至 (Winter Solstice)

Today is 冬至 (Winter Solstice) - the period when the Earth's axial tilt is farthest away from the sun at its maximum of 23° 26". So as per normal practice, we went down to 爷爷 and 奶奶 place for dinner. And on this day, we only eat 汤圆. However, because 姑姑 and 叔叔 do not like to eat 汤圆 and 奶奶 is worried that I will not get used to eating 汤圆 as well, so she also prepared noodles separately for us.

Then Mummy thought of letting me have a go at making 汤圆. So she got some 糯米粉 from 奶奶 and then made a dough for me. And I quickly went to wash my hands clean and started to make my first 汤圆. Not bad for the first few tries, then got a little creative and decided that round shape is getting boring. Why not the shape of a snake .... and then more and more creative ....



And in the end, I took the 糯米粉 dough as playdoh and made christmas tree and snowman (since Christmas season is round the corner). Anyway 奶奶 did not expect to cook the 汤圆 that I have made (otherwise they will really taste 'nice' ... haha)

And then 爷爷 completed the finishing touch, with eyes, nose, mouth, buttons and a hat !!! Tada

奶奶 made 汤圆 different from the typical ones that are sold in the market. They are savoury with no fillings inside, instead of sweet balls with fillings. More like the Shanghai 年高 dish, with chinese cabbage, carrot, mushroom, seafood etc. Daddy grew up eating that so he much preferred that to the sweet type. When Mummy had her first taste of the savoury 汤圆 many years back (when she first met Daddy), she had to get used to it slowly ..... 奶奶 also made a small bowl of the sweet 汤圆 for symbolism

I tried both the savoury and sweet type, and my conclusion .... I prefer the sweet one, since all kids like sweet stuff !!!

Wishing everyone a sweet reunion and enjoy the rest of the year ....

No comments: