My First Blog

Hello everybody,

I am little princess Jing Ting ... finally have my own blog because Daddy was bored and home-sick when he was in the States ... so decided to create a blog for me ! HOORAY !!!

Come and read my blog as Daddy and Mummy update it as regularly as they can

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Allergies ...

Last week, I was bitten by an insect or perhaps mosquito in school when we went to the open field to collect leaves to do a school project. Was bitten on the face near the eye. Initially, it was just a red spot near the eye, but the next day, the area was swollen. Daddy and Mummy thought the swelling will subside soon, but got worse instead (had spread downwards towards the ear) .... the swollen area became painful and my left eye was slightly smaller then the right due to the swelling

So Daddy brought me to the GP early morning before we went to school. Doctor said because the bite was near the eye, which is relatively sensitive, so the tendency to get infection / swelling is high. Since the swelling started to be painful, the doctor prescribed antibiotic cream as well as antibiotic to be taken orally (in case of the infection getting worse). Prescribed "Augmentin" antibiotic to be taken twice a day.

Took the oral antibiotic before I went school. When Daddy fetched me back home that day, I had some light red rashes on my face .... Daddy and Mummy thought it could be just heat rashes ... but the next day, more rashes on my hands and legs ....

Mummy suspected that I could be allergic to the antibiotics Augmentin, since she is also allergic to ampicillin. So we went back to the GP. And indeed the doctor confirmed that !!! The doctor was pretty thorough ... checked swelling around my ears and throat ... listened to my lungs and airway .... at least he knew what he needed to check. Since the swelling started to get better and less painful, the doctor recommended we stopped the oral antibiotic but continued the antibiotic cream Fucidin. Mummy said my allergic reaction is not too bad already, only some red patches after 3 doses of the antibiotics. When she was younger, it only took her 1 dose of oral ampicillin for her to have very bad hives and end up as an A&E case in SGH.

The swelling is all subsided now already. And I am now officially allergic to Augmentin. Chances are I am allergic to the amoxicillin in Augmentin, which is in the same class as Ampicillin that Mummy is allergic to.... Sigh.... Genetics has worked (although the doctor said this is not by genetic .... so coincindental ???)

No comments: